The mandate of this independent Committee is twofold.
Firstly, it identifies new members for the staged renewal of the Scientific Council membership. Secondly, it maintains a pool of candidates for future replacements of Scientific Council members.
The legal provisions for the identification of the Scientific Council members are set out in the Council Decision establishing the specific programme implementing Horizon 2020 - the Framework Programme for Research and Innovation (2014-2020) of 3 December 2013 (2013/743/EU) / Article 7.1 and section 1.3 of Part I of Annex I.
The Committee consists of seven highly respected personalities in European research:
- Sir Leszek Borysiewicz (chair) - Vice-Chancellor, University of Cambridge, UK
- Alice Dautry – Institut Pasteur, France
- Hans-Joachim Freund – Fritz-Haber-Institute, Max-Planck-Society, Germany
- Louise J. Gunning-Schepers – University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- Xavier Vives - IESE Business School, University of Navarra, Spain
- Joseph Weiler – European University Institute, Italy
- Agnieszka Zalewska – Henryk Niewodniczański Institute of Nuclear Physics of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland
News and reports
- 19/7/2016: Report of the Standing Identification Committee for the renewal of the ERC Scientific Council
- 17/2/2015: Report of the Standing Identification Committee for the renewal of the ERC Scientific Council
- 27/5/2014: Top scientists to decide who governs the European Research Council
- Statement of Methodology of the ERC Identification Committee
- Statement of the qualifications and broader profile of candidate